Be An Educated Consumer - Farm Animals
Animal factories will not exist if consumers demand that animals raised for food are treated as sentient beings with dignity and respect. Here are a few ways to help farm animals by being an educated consumer:
- Ensure your food choices alleviate animal suffering rather than perpetuate cruelty. If you consume animal products, buy from family farms where animals are not confined to cages or crates, and where they can roam freely and behave naturally.
- When shopping for meat, dairy and eggs, look for labels indicating the product is third-party certified for animal welfare. Certified label claims are defined by a formal set of publicly available animal care standards. Compliance with the standards is verified by an independent audit. Visit Animal Welfare Approved to find out where these products are available.
- Use customer comment cards to urge grocery stores and restaurants to provide products from animals raised according to high welfare standards.
- Help AWI investigate animal welfare claims on food labels. If you see a product that is labeled "Humanely Raised" snap a picture and send it to us, along with the name and location of the store selling the item.
- Learn how to fight a factory farming operation in your community.
Check out our publications about Farm Animals, and share the publications with others.
Sign up for AWI eAlerts to stay informed!