Refinement and Environmental Enrichment Grants to Improve the Welfare of Animals in Research
The Animal Welfare Institute (AWI) is offering grants of up to $7,500 to develop and test innovative methods of refinement and/or environmental enrichment to improve the lives of animals in research.
- To qualify for the award, applicants must be based in and the project must be conducted in the United States.
- Deadline for applications is December 1, 2014.
- Proposals which inflict avoidable stress or anticipate killing animals will not be funded.
- Proposals may be part of other research projects, but should be broadly applicable and must be completed within one year (shorter durations are encouraged). Anticipated award notification date will be January 5, 2015, with awards starting about February 1, 2015.
- Award recipients must agree to submit a summary of the results of the project, including photographs (if applicable), at its conclusion. This summary may be edited for potential publication in the AWI Quarterly magazine. Reports will be due no later than March 1, 2016. Reports must also include an expense report.
- Award recipients must agree to submit their results for presentation, either in appropriate journals or at a widely attended scientific meeting. Additional funding of up to $500 may be provided, upon request, to defray travel costs to present results at national meetings (i.e. AALAS Annual Conference, SCAW Forum, PRIM&R IACUC Conference, etc.).
- A detailed and justified budget must accompany the grant application, to include all personnel and supply costs. It is AWI policy that no award funds can be used for indirect costs.
- For additional information, please contact Kenneth Litwak, DVM, PhD, AWI Laboratory Animal Advisor at email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in applying for a grant to improve the welfare of animals in research. As there is no means of saving and returning to an incomplete application, if you can’t complete the application without interruption you may want to prepare answers to the application questions in a separate file and then copy and paste your answers into the online application form. Once you have completed the application, click the submit button and it will be automatically delivered to the Animal Welfare Institute. Shortly after submission of your online application, you will receive an acknowledgement of its receipt.